EHS-Resident is the wireless network at EHS for permanent residents, their relatives, and part-time residents. Any type of device may be registered for this network. Once a device is registered, it remains registered and can join and rejoin the EHS-Resident wireless network without having to re-enroll. Much like each of the previous wireless systems, registering for EHS-Resident requires finding the MAC address of the device. The instructions for finding this value are below.
Registering for EHS-Resident
Registering a device on EHS-Resident should be done on another device that has network access such as a laptop or phone. Registration cannot be done off campus or on a cell network.
- On any device that has network access, open a web browser and go to:
If you are given a security warning, you may ignore the warnings and click through to the next page. In Chrome, click “Advanced” and then “Proceed to studentdevices.ehsnet.org (unsafe)”.
- Sign in with your EHS network username and password. Click the checkbox next to “I agree to the terms and conditions” and then click “Sign On”.
- Click “Continue” to get to the registration page.
- Click “the “Add” button to add a new device.
- In the Device Name field, type a name for this device such as “My Xbox” or “Samsung TV”. In the Device ID field, type the MAC address of this particular device. See the section below if you need a refresher on how to find each device’s MAC address.
- Your device will now be listed on your personal registration page. From this page, you can add more devices or see the ones that you have already registered. Do not worry about the Status field that says “Pending”.
- Now go to the wireless device and join the EHS-Resident network with the password supplied by the tech department. (Screenshot below highlights EHS-Game… that network is for students)
Identifying a MAC Address of a device
- All devices that connect to wireless networks have what is called a MAC address. The MAC address is called different things according to the device manufacturer because the name is often confused with the ‘Mac’ brand of computers. The following sections describe how to find this information on popular brands of computers and devices.
- The MAC address will be made up of six pairs of numbers from 1-10 and/or letters from A-F. They are normally separated by colons or dashes. An example would be “A1:44:B7:DD:C2:C1”
Common device types are listed below. if you own a different kind of device such as an Apple TV or a video game system, the MAC address can be found in the system settings and is usually in an information or ‘about’ page.
iPads and iPhones
- Go to the Settings app
- Go to General
- Go to About
- Scroll down to Wi-Fi Address.
- E-mail the value to the right of the Wi-Fi Address
There are different methods for finding the MAC address through the Control Panel depending on your version of Windows. The following method works for all versions of Windows.
- In Windows 7, go to the Start menu in the bottom left corner of the screen. In Windows 10, just click in the search box near the bottom left of the screen.
- In the search box at the bottom, type “cmd”. In Windows 8 just type “cmd” at the tile screen.
- The search results will show a program called the “Command Prompt”. Select it with the mouse.
- In the black box that comes up, type “ipconfig /all” and hit Enter.
- Several sections will appear depending on the type of computer. Look for the section called “Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection”
- The Physical Address is the MAC address for the wireless adapter.
The method of finding the MAC address has changed slightly with each version of OSX but the information is always in the Network section of System Preferences.
- Open System Preferences
- Go to the Network section
- In the pane on the left, select the Wi-Fi link
- Click the Advanced… button in the lower right.
- The Wi-Fi Address is listed at the bottom of this page.
Your mileage may vary as there are so many types of Android devices and variations on the mobile operating system.
- Open the Settings app
- At the bottom of this screen is the System subsection. Select About Tablet (or phone)
- Tap the section called Status
- There is a listing for the Wi-Fi Mac Address.
- Press the “Menu” button on your controller.
- Navigate to the Settings page.
- Select Network.
- Select Advanced Settings.
- MAC address will be listed next to Wired MAC on the right hand side of the screen.
TVs and DVD players
Every TV, DVD player, and other home entertainment devices will have a different method of finding this information. In almost every case, it will be in a Settings menu under Networking or Advanced. It may be called a MAC address or wifi address. Contact the tech department if you need assistance.